Podiatry – 5 Little Known Facts About Podiatrist’s and Their Field
Here are some facts about Podiatrists and Podiatry:
1. Podiatrists most definitely must be licensed and have about 3 to 4 years of education. They must also complete a 4 years of podiatric college and pass national and State examinations.
2. Many Americans spend an enormous amount of time on their feet. Good foot health is imperative to a healthy life style.
3. According to Columbia Encyclopedia, “The human foot consists of 26 bones, connected by tough bands of ligaments. Seven rounded tarsal bones (the internal, middle, and external cuneiform bones, navicular, cuboid, talus, and calcaneus) lie below the ankle joint and form the instep. Five metatarsal bones form the ball of the foot. There are 14 phalanges in the toes (two in the great toe and three in each of the others. The foot bones form two perpendicular arches that normally meet the ground only at the heel and ball of the foot (see flat foot); these arches are found only in humans.”
4. Podiatrists are trained health-care professionals. They treat bunions along with calluses. They also treat corns, even ingrown toenails. They treat arch problems as well as heel spurs and ankle and foot injuries. They also treat infections, deformities; and diabetic foot issues. In order to take care of these problems, podiatrists prescribe drugs. Podiatrists can set fractures and order physical therapy, as well as perform surgery. They also take advantage of corrective inserts (orthotics) and design plaster casts and strappings to correct deformities. They even design custom-made shoes.
5. Many times the foot is the first place that shows signs of serious conditions such as arthritis, heart disease and diabetes.
6. 23 percent of doctors of podiatry are self-employed. They also work in private practice, clinics and hospitals. Other podiatrists work in hospitals or are employed by the Federal Government.
7. Some podiatrists can perform Cryosurgery; work with soft tissue tumors, and Plantar Fasciitis. They can help with heel pain and Plantar Fasciitis. Podiatrists perform x-rays (in office) as well as Diabetic foot exams. They treat Diabetic Neuropathy; Tarsel Tunnel; Plantar Warts; even Ingrown Toenails. Some podiatrists provide in office Ultrasound. Podiatrists can provide Wound Care in office skin grafting; and Hammertoes’ surgical correction.
Assured Health Physiotherapy clinic is an Interdisciplinary medical clinic located in New Westminster which offers several premedical services such as RMT, physiotherapy, chiropractic, RMT, Acup, etc.
Assured Health Physiotherapy is also offering medical products such as Custom-made orthotics, Compression Stockings, braces, and TENS machines.
To find out more, please Contact Assured Health Physiotherapy in New Westminster at 604-526-2671